Justice for the Judge
“The evidence is overwhelming, but for the judge, there has been no justice.” – Dan Daly, Washington Times, February 4, 2006
Judge Duke Slater lived a tremendous life. He served as a pioneer for African-Americans in sports, a man who overcame tremendous obstacles on his way to athletic stardom. Critics regarded him as one of the greatest football players of all time, and off the field, he was admired for his intelligence and modesty.
However, in the years since his death, Slater has not been properly recognized for his unique place in American sports history. We need to correct that oversight by pursuing justice for the judge.
Here are the projects which would give Duke Slater the recognition he deserves:
1) The creation of a new Slater display at Clinton High School
2) The creation of a new Slater display at Slater Hall at the University of Iowa
3) A permanent recognition of Slater at Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa
4) An honorary street named after Duke Slater in Chicago
5) Induction into the Arizona Cardinals Ring of Honor