The Women’s Football Alliance (WFA) will bring women’s football fans another great season of gridiron action starting this weekend, with a full slate of 20 games scheduled for April 5. The opening weekend in the WFA features several exciting regional rivalries. Here are a few of the key matchups.
2014 WFA Week 1 Preview (April 5)
- D.C. Divas @ Boston Militia – The Divas and Militia have met in the playoffs each of the last five seasons, a women’s football record that has fueled a heated rivalry between these two squads. Last year’s regular season matchup in Boston between these two teams resulted in an 81-54 victory for the Militia, the highest-scoring game in women’s football history.
- Chicago Force @ Detroit Dark Angels – The reigning WFA champion Chicago Force begin their national championship defense in Detroit against the Dark Angels. The Dark Angels, who went 8-0 in the regular season in 2012, hope to return to the playoffs after a one-year absence.
- Las Vegas Showgirlz @ San Diego Surge – The Las Vegas Showgirlz, fresh off of two dominant preseason victories, visit the San Diego Surge in a matchup between West Coast powerhouses. San Diego, the 2012 WFA champions, defeated Las Vegas in a competitive regular season meeting last year, 32-22, before later eliminating the Showgirlz from the 2013 WFA playoffs.
- Seattle Majestics @ Portland Shockwave – One of the Pacific Northwest’s premier rivalries resumes when the Portland Shockwave host the Seattle Majestics. This will be the 30th meeting all-time between the Majestics and the Shockwave, with Seattle holding a 21-8 advantage in the series.
- Tampa Bay Inferno @ Atlanta Phoenix – The Atlanta Phoenix, champions of the WFA’s southeast region in 2013, have established themselves as a regional powerhouse. Over the last two regular seasons, Atlanta has compiled a 15-1 record. Their only loss was a 26-25 defeat in 2012 at the hands of the Tampa Bay Inferno, who will attempt to repeat the feat on Saturday.
- Columbus Comets @ Cleveland Fusion – These two franchises will bring 25 combined years of women’s football experience to the field as they kick off their seasons this weekend. Columbus made their first playoff appearance last season since advancing to the WFA national championship game in 2010. Cleveland, meanwhile, outscored their opponents, 362-18, en route to a perfect 8-0 regular season in 2013.
- Nevada Storm @ Central Cal War Angels – The Nevada Storm make their WFA debut in 2014 after three seasons playing in other leagues. They’ll take on the Central Cal War Angels, who advanced to the American Conference championship game last season for the first time in franchise history.
- Cincinnati Sizzle @ West Michigan Mayhem – Cincinnati capped a triumphant 2013 season with their first playoff appearance in franchise history. The Sizzle will try to start their journey to return to the postseason by securing a road victory over the West Michigan Mayhem. The Mayhem have accrued 75 victories in franchise history, ranking them eighth in all-time wins among current women’s football franchises.
- Toledo Reign @ Derby City Dynamite – Since their founding in 2012, the Derby City Dynamite have made the Toledo Reign one of their fiercest rivals. Despite going 3-5 in 2013, Derby City ended the year on a positive note with three straight victories, including a 14-0 win over rival Toledo. The Reign begin their 11th season hoping to make their second playoff appearance in three years after qualifying for a wild card game in 2012.
- Austin Outlaws @ Houston Power – The battle for the Lone Star State in the WFA in 2014 will come down to this rivalry. Austin and Houston have had several competitive battles over the last four years, splitting the eight games between them to give both teams a 4-4 record in the series since 2010.
- Tacoma Trauma @ Everett Reign – The Everett Reign will be using this weekend’s home opener against the Tacoma Trauma to honor the victims of the tragic Oso mudslide and their families. The team will donate a portion of the game’s ticket sales to relief efforts and will collect additional donations at the game. Both teams will observe a moment of silence before the contest in the memory of those who lost their lives.
2014 WFA Week 1 Schedule (April 5)
The full 2014 WFA Week 1 schedule:
D.C. Divas @ Boston Militia
Chicago Force @ Detroit Dark Angels
Las Vegas Showgirlz @ San Diego Surge
Seattle Majestics @ Portland Shockwave
Tampa Bay Inferno @ Atlanta Phoenix
Columbus Comets @ Cleveland Fusion
Nevada Storm @ Central Cal War Angels
Cincinnati Sizzle @ West Michigan Mayhem
Toledo Reign @ Derby City Dynamite
Austin Outlaws @ Houston Power
Tacoma Trauma @ Everett Reign
Orlando Anarchy @ Miami Fury
Daytona Breakers @ Jacksonville Dixie Blues
Acadiana Zydeco @ Louisiana Jazz
Minnesota Machine @ Nebraska Stampede
Utah Blitz @ Portland Fighting Fillies
Tennessee Train @ Savannah Sabers
West Coast Lightning @ Arizona Assassins
Kansas City Titans @ Iowa Steamrollers
Baltimore Burn (WSFL) @ Pittsburgh Force
Filed under: General